Friday, January 25, 2013

Friday Quick Takes: Sacred Music Edition

In this edition of Friday Quick Takes, I'm presenting you with the best versions I can find of a few of my favorite sacred music selections. I offer these in thanksgiving for our recent good news, with the hope that they will provide an avenue through which you can pray and praise Him. Thank you, Jen at Conversion Diary, for the chance to share these with a wider audience.

I love sacred choral music, as you probably can tell from some of my previous posts. I think sacred music is one of the best ways to pray. In college, I was in three choirs, and much of this music comes from those days. I was blessed to go to a school that celebrated sacred music, and I always felt the prayer of the music so strongly when we performed. 

Anywho, without further ado, I give you seven of my favorites. *Note: I did not choose these videos for their video content. I chose them based on the quality of the music in them only.

1. Hear My Prayer O Lord: Henry Purcell
Hear my prayer, O Lord, and let my crying come unto thee.




2. Ave Verum Corpus: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Ave, verum corpus             
natum de Maria Virgine,            
Vere passum immolatum
in Cruce pro homine,
Cujus latus perforatum
unda fluxit et sanguine,
Esto nobis praegustatum
in mortis examine.

Hail, true body
born of the Virgin Mary,
Who truly suffered, sacrificed
on the Cross for man,
Whose pierced side overflowed
with water and blood,
Be for us a foretaste
in the test of death.


3. Sicut Cervus: Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina
Sicut cervus desiderat ad fontes aquarum, ita desiderat anima mea ad te, Deus.

As the hart longs for running water, so longs my heart for you, O God.


4. Crucifixus: Antonio Lotti

Crucifixus etiam pro nobis sub Pontio Pilato; passus et sepultus est.

He was crucified for us also, under Pontius Pilate; he suffered and was buried.


5. There is no Rose of Such Virtue: Olde English Traditional Carol (circa 1420)

There is no rose of such virtue, as is the rose that bare Jesu.
Alleluia.
For in this rose contained was heaven and earth in little space.
Res miranda.
By that rose we may well see that He is God in persons three.
Pari forma.
The angels sungen the shepherds to: Gloria in excelsis Deo.
Gaudeamus.
Leave we all this worldly mirth and follow we this joyful birth.
Transeamus.
Alleluia, res miranda. Pares forma, gaudeamus, transeamus.





6. O Vos Omnes: Pablo Casals
O vos omnes, o vos omnes qui transitis per viam
attendite, attendite, attendite et videte:
si est dolor sicut dolor meus;
o vos omnes, o vos omnes qui transitis per viam.

Oh all ye who pass by the way,
attend and see 
if there be any sorrow like to my sorrow.


7. The Lord is My Shepherd: Psalm 23 (Arranged by John Rutter)

The Lord is my shepherd; therefore I shall lack nothing.
He shall lead me in a green pasture, and lead me forth beside the waters of comfort.
He shall convert my soul and lead me forth in the paths of righteousness for His Name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.
For Thou art with me; my rod and my staff, comfort me!
Thou shalt prepare a table for me against them that trouble me.
Thou hast anointed my head with oil, and my cup shall be full.
But thy loving kindness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. What are your thoughts? (You will be redirected to a sign in page. Sign in, and the page will come back here)