Friday, May 17, 2013

Getting Pretty Excited About Switching Doctors

So today was my last OB appointment here in my current town. My next appointment will be in our new state, and let me tell ya, after today I'm really looking forward to it.

It wasn't horrible, but it left me really thinking how wonderful it would be to have a doctor who could really care about how I feel about pregnancy and children. A Catholic doctor is an invaluable doctor.

I explained to my doc that I am moving, and that I'll be starting my doctoral work in September. She says, "But your baby is due in September! That's really close timing!"

I said, "Yes, it will be a little stressful, but we've done this before. Last time it was finals week." I tried to laugh it off, hoping the conversation wouldn't go where I knew it was bound.

She says, "Well, do we need to have a little talk about planning? Ha ha!"

You should have seen my face. Straight up GRIMACE. I couldn't even help it.

All the implications of that little question: It implied that I wasn't on or didn't use birth control correctly (I wasn't on birth control thankyouverymuch, and I'd like to keep it that way). It completely disregarded that we did try to have a baby with plenty of time before my program started (but darn it all, that baby died). It also completely overlooks what I think is so obvious here: I trust God with planning my babies, more than you will ever know, lady. We don't get to plan, and losing my second baby really kinda makes that super-evident.

I know I can't expect people to think like I do. To cherish life like I do. To know where I'm coming from and how I feel about this baby. But oh, how I wish I could.

7 comments:

  1. Ugh, Drs. I probably would have had a scowl on my face! Hopefully you find a great Catholic pro-life Dr. close to you in your new state!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! I would have grimaced too!! I can never think of the right thing to say in moments like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How insulting! I'm sorry you had to have such an aggravating conversation. You're not moving to Virginia or nearby are you? Because there's a great authentically Catholic obgyn in northern VA. I'm sure they don't say such annoying things there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for relating, ladies. I just love you gals.

    Ecce, I am moving to the West coast...so I think it makes the chances go down that I will find a faithful Catholic doc. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are moving to CA there are pro-life Drs. around. You can email me and if you are gonna be in SoCal then even better and I know more Drs. in the SoCal area :)

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately, I won't be in CA. :( I have tried to look up pro-life docs in my state on the website for the American Association of Prolife OBGYNs and the closest one is 2.5 hours away! I'm going to have to dig deep, I'm afraid!

      Delete
  5. I am so sad that so many OB's are so anti-life. I know they don't see it that way, but seriously! I hope you find a great new doctor!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. What are your thoughts? (You will be redirected to a sign in page. Sign in, and the page will come back here)